Note:


Note: Stories are posted in reverse order. (Select them from the archive to read chronologically)

Friday, January 7, 2011

antithesis

In a corner of the menu marked "Tonight's Special," I found a dish of antithesis.

"Fresh Normandy Style Antithesis in Garlic Sauce." is what was written there.

As I stared at the menu, I tried asking the headwaiter. "The antithesis, is it actually fresh?" 

"Ah, there's no doubt about that, sir." answered the headwaiter, as if he was offended by having been asked.

"Even after being in business for more than 30 years, not one customer has ever been disappointed by what is printed on our menu. When we say 'Today is Monday,' you can be sure that it is 100 percent Monday. And when we say 'Today's antithesis is fresh,' you can be sure that it is 100 percent fresh. Literally they've just been harvested, and they're lively as well. Even now they're still snapping away." 

"I apologize then. I was just being careful because I've hardly been able to find fresh antithesis nowadays."

The headwaiter narrowed his eyes and nodded, as if in affirmation.

"I agree with you completely. Certainly in the last 10 years all of the large fresh antithesis have been depleted, and in most places you're getting frozen Indian dwarf antithesis. Except you can barely call the ones from India antithesis. They're lacking in juices, and there's no character to their bitterness."

"Yes, certainly..."

"However," said the headwaiter, interrupting my words. "However, you shouldn't be worried. We only take in the real thing. Tonight's antithesis is a once in a year delicacy. The price is a bit high, but trying it is worth it. We quickly peal the skin, score it with a knife, and then we pour our scalding hot garlic sauce on top in order to preserve the antithesis's natural crispy firmness. The skin is deep fried and enjoyed with a salad."

"Then that's what I'll have. Along with a dry white wine that goes well with antithesis," I said.   

I felt that the price was a little too high, but what else could I do? I had no idea when would be the next time I could eat real antithesis.


- m

No comments:

Post a Comment